Your Children’s Melbourne dentist
At Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD, we are a family friendly practice focused on long term care of our patients. Our friendly and supportive team makes dental appointments a friendly, fun, and inviting event. We understand that many patients have dental anxiety and most of it relates to childhood traumatic dental experience. Hence, when it comes to children, our main goal is to help children develop a positive association with dentists and oral health care.
Children’s dentistry – Our role
Our dentists fulfil many important functions relating to the child’s overall oral health and hygiene, placing emphasis on the proper maintenance and care of deciduous (baby) teeth, which are instrumental in facilitating good chewing habits, proper speech, and also hold space for permanent teeth.
Our dentists educate parents and children emphasizing the importance of keeping teeth strong and healthy. We address simple but significant issues like, why it is important to take care of milk teeth, teach our little ones on how to brush, in a fun filled atmosphere. In addition, they advise parents good eating habits, and other aspects of the home hygiene routine.
In addition to providing check-ups and dental cleanings, our dentists are also able to apply dental sealants to decrease a child’s cavity risk and help the child to overcome bad oral habit such as thumb sucking or nail biting.
Monitoring growth and intercepting any developing dental issue
We continuously track growth and development of teeth and jaws. This enables to anticipate dental issues and quickly intervene before they worsen. Also, working towards earlier corrective treatment preserves the child’s self-esteem and fosters a more positive self-image. At Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD we advocate the use of the Myobrace in preadolescent children. It addresses the underlying habits that cause crooked teeth. It works by retraining your child’s swallowing and breathing habits.
Some on frequently asked questions to us by parents:
When should my child first see a dentist?
Even though a baby usually doesn’t need a dental check-up before their first teeth erupt – we recommend that you bring your baby with you whenever you or other children have an appointment with a Holistic Dental practitioner. This will help them get used to the smells, noise and surroundings of a dental practice, and make them more relaxed and prepared for their actual first visit. On the first visit, our aim would only be make the child comfortable and familiarise them with the practice, with every effort to make it as fun as possible.
How do you clean a young child’s teeth?
Cleaning and brushing teeth removes plaque (the build-up on teeth) that causes tooth decay. We have to keep in mind that, We frequently tend to pass our routine habits and fears to our children especially related to dentistry. In other words, home hygiene routines should be centred around with all family members participating, for the child to quickly lead and develop a habit.
- You can start cleaning your baby’s teeth by wiping with a soft cloth or brushing with a small soft toothbrush and water.
- At 18 months start using a pea sized amount of low-fluoride toothpaste to brush your child’s teeth. Encourage your child to spit out toothpaste after brushing, but not rinse.
- Clean all surfaces of the teeth and gums twice a day (after breakfast and before bed).
- Children will need an adult to help them brush their teeth until about 7 or 8 years of age.
What are fissure sealants?
- The grinding surface of permanent molars have deep groves, which are hard to clean and have a high likelihood of developing decay.
- Fissure sealants are an acrylic-like material than your Holistic Dental practitioner applies to the biting surfaces of high-risk primary and permanent teeth, to seal these grooves and prevent food traps, thus protecting the. from decay. Because fissure sealants can only be applied to the biting surfaces of the teeth, and not the surfaces in-between the teeth, daily flossing continues to be an important component of maintaining good oral hygiene
- Your Holistic Dental practitioner in Melbourne CBD will check the condition of your child’s fissure sealants during their twice-yearly check-ups.
Children’s Dentistry – Bulk billing Melbourne Dentist
- The Child Dental Benefits Scheme (CDBS) started on the 01.01.2014 to ensure that finances are never part of the equation for your child’s dental health.
- At Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD, we completely bulk bill all eligible CDBS (for ages 2-17 years) claims. This means there will be no hidden gap payments.
Is my child eligible?
If you receive a Government Benefit such as Family Tax Benefit Part A, your child may be eligible. You can easily check this by calling Medicare on 132 011.
Your child’s vital check-up and clean plus all other general dental treatments including: X-rays, Fillings, Fissure Seals and more.
- Please contact us or visit the Department of Health website for more information on the CDBS. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/childdental
Our Smile Makeover Gallery
Have a Question?
We Accept All Major Health Funds
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.