Sedation Dentistry and Dental Anxiety
Do you put up with dental problems because you’re terrified to step inside a dentist’s office? You’re not alone. Between 9% and 20% of Australians avoid going to the dentist because they’re afraid or anxious. Dental phobia is not same as regular anxiety—it leaves people panic-stricken and terrified! People with dental phobia have an awareness that the fear is totally irrational, but they can’t do much about it.
It is important to understand that untreated, small painless issues could escalate into bigger and more painful infections. For our patients who struggle with intense dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can get them the high-quality dental care they need, minus the fear response. Sedation can be used not only for invasive procedures but also for simple teeth cleaning alike—how we use it depends on the severity of the anxiety.
Stay calm and relaxed through the procedure
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry uses oral, Inhalation or IV medication to help patients relax during dental procedures. People sometimes call it “sleep dentistry,” although that’s not always accurate. Patients are usually awake, with the exception of those who are under general anesthesia.
The commonly available options are
Conscious sedation – Penthrox (Green whistle) or the laughing gas (happy gas)
Twilight Sedation – though promoted as sleep dentistry, you are aware of what is going around you.
Deep Sedation and General anesthesia – In Deep sedation, you may feel unconscious but will respond to repeated stimulation. In General Anesthesia there would be complete loss of consciousness. Both are preferably done in hospital setting where patients need assistance in maintaining patent airway and for the heart functions to be monitored.
Using sedation dentistry, the patient stays calm and relaxed through the procedure.
Sedation Dentistry at Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD
We understand your fear is real and our experienced team will take care of you with utmost patience and empathy. First and foremost, our gentle and caring dentists will take time to understand your concerns, go through your medical history, and then come up with simplified solutions to provide you with a comfortable and painless dental experience. We’re happy to answer any questions you have about a procedure, so you know exactly what to expect every step of the way. Communication partnered with sedation will make your experience in our office a piece of cake.
In addition to offering sedation dentistry for dental anxiety management, we encourage our patients to:
- Share your fears
- Focus on your breathing
- Watch what you eat and drink before the procedure, such as sugar and caffeine
- Choose a low-stress appointment time
- Ask lots of questions!
At Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD, we have few methods for dealing with severe dental anxiety
- To start with, we offer noise cancellation headphones and ceiling mounted Tv to help you relax/entertain, and it also helps to take your mind off the procedure. You will be offered blankets and neck pillows to make you as comfortable as we can.
- Our staff is highly experienced with handling anxious patients and you shall find them to be gentle, calm and reassuring.
- If you need additional help, we can offer you oral premedication such as Valium, generally taken on the night before your scheduled appointment. It helps to relieve anxiety prior to treatment and may need additional sedation such as happy gas during treatment. You will not be able to drive for at least 6 – 12 hours after your last dose of Valium and hence would need a chaperone.
- Penthrox also known as Green whistle is a handheld, self-administered medicine, used to reduce pain, but also causes mild sedation. It works by making people less responsive to excitement and pain but can also cause drowsiness.
- Happy Gas (relative analgesia /inhalation sedation) is the most preferred by our dentists. Not only it is affordable, relaxation usually sets in quickly, the effects being consistent and predictable, and the effect is easily reversed. The side effects are almost minimal, and you can drive after using happy gas.
Dental treatment can be like a pleasant dream
Affordable Sedation Dentistry -Get Your Oral Health Back on Track
At Holistic Dental Melbourne CBD we use sedation dentistry to help patients who would otherwise avoid getting dental care out of anxiety. We understand your fear is real and will work extra hard and to put you at ease. We want to overcome any past traumas you have faced in the dentist chair and build a trusting relationship. Schedule your sleep sedation dentistry appointment today and experience a calming appointment at our practice.
Don’t let your teeth suffer because of anxiety–sedation dentistry will help you put your best smile forward!
Our Smile Makeover Gallery
Have a Question?
We Accept All Major Health Funds
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.